An unusual light-shielding device, consisting of horizontal wooden plates, was first born nearly 250 years ago in Philadelphia. The inventor of the blinds (namely, they are now being discussed) was an English designer, John Webster. However, only 80 years later, his truly brilliant invention (allowing light to enter the room, but leaving people in the room completely invisible to prying eyes), was manufactured on an industrial scale, when American industrialist John Hampton, who was widely known at that time, became interested in blinds. Having contributed to the production of blinds, he nevertheless decided to leave the original name given to him by an Englishman and meaning “jealousy” in French.
Gradually, the blinds were modified. First, the wooden plates (they are called “lamellas”) were replaced by metal, then fabric and plastic. The position of the plates in space also changed - along with the horizontal structures, vertical blinds began to be produced. And, of course, the original heavy and bulky slats replaced the light and mobile elements of various colors and shades, which allowed to install blinds in almost any room and select them for any interior.
Like a couple of centuries ago, horizontal blinds are still quite popular these days. Their design is such that the plates can rotate around its horizontal axis, changing the angle of inclination (this is the "cane", located on the side of the blinds). For opening and closing the blinds, the side cord “responds”, which allows simultaneously fixing the blinds in the chosen position.
All horizontal blinds have a number of the same type. merits:
- make it easy to adjust the intensity of the lighting,
- Available in a wide range of colors.
- the selection according to the length and height is made immediately during their manufacture to the size of the windows,
- there is a choice of blinds on the width of the plates.
And also a few deficiencies:
- in any room on the horizontal slats of the blinds dust accumulates, so these blinds must be washed (or cleaned of dust in any other way) at least once a week;
- the striped light that they let into the room tires the human eye;
- the length of the slats is limited to 2 meters (with a larger span, the blinds start to bend strongly in the center under their own weight).
At the same time, horizontal blinds, having the same type of construction, differ in most cases only by the material of the plates.
Aluminum blinds have more meritsthan disadvantages:
- wash well
- do not fade in the sun
- not deformed
- do not have their own smell,
- require minimal care, as they do not need to be washed (just wipe with a slightly damp cloth or brush the dust with a special brush),
- not able to accumulate static electricity,
- have a long service life
Nowadays horizontal aluminum blinds are made in three versions:
- ordinary - mounted above the window in front of the eaves for curtains or instead of it;
- blinds attached directly to the sash of the PVC window (without compromising the integrity and tightness of the glass), which allows it to freely open and close at any position of the blinds;
- Interframe version - the blinds are located between the windows, and the control of the blinds is placed on the inside of the window or on the partition.
Disadvantage horizontal aluminum blinds:
- heat up in the sun.
Price range of horizontal aluminum blinds: from 350 to 800 rubles per square meter (depending on the manufacturer and the width of the blinds plates).
Possessing all merits Aluminum horizontal blinds; plastic blinds can additionally imitate the appearance of wooden blinds or have a graphic image applied to them, which becomes visible only when horizontal plates are fixed in a full vertical position.
- cheap options for plastic horizontal blinds can be made of fragile plastics that do not withstand even the slightest deformation and collapse under the action of sunlight;
- It is recommended to use only special detergents for care.
Price range of plastic horizontal blinds: from 2000 to 3000 rubles.
To the undoubted merits Wooden blinds include:
- naturalness (made from several types of wood, including oak, mahogany, beech, hornbeam, wenge, etc.);
- environmental friendliness;
- beautiful appearance;
- durability (with proper care and its original high quality workmanship).
- high cost (in comparison with plastic and aluminum blinds);
- when the quality of the processing plate is poor after some time under the action of the sun's rays, their surface begins to deform;
- require special care, as they are considered less waterproof than their artificial "brothers".
A variety of wooden horizontal blinds are bamboo blinds:
- do not fade
- moisture resistant,
Disadvantage - high price (from 3000 to 3500 rubles).
Unlike horizontal blinds, which “hide” in the upper part of the window, the vertical plates are shifted either completely to one side of the window span, or from the middle to both edges of the window. In this case, the lamellae can also be rotated (by 180 degrees) around its axis (which allows you to easily and quickly adjust the intensity of the lighting in the room).
TO benefits All vertical blinds include:
- creating a soft, pleasant to the human eye, diffused light;
- wide choice of materials from which it is possible to make similar blinds;
- They look good on the windows with draperies and curtains.
Plates of vertical blinds can be made of plastic, aluminum and wood (and at the same time have the same disadvantages and advantages as plates of horizontal blinds), as well as from some other materials:
Fabric blinds are:
- jacquard (fabric with a large pattern) - impregnated with a special composition, so the plates from it do not lose their shape, do not fade;
- non-woven - easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner, but it is not moisture resistant;
- fiberglass - have excellent water resistance, do not burn, they are easy to care for and wash;
- simple (flax, cotton, etc.) with a dust-repellent impregnation - one of the economical options for vertical blinds, well cleaned, withstand easy wet cleaning, not deformed.
In addition to the general merits All fabric vertical blinds should include:
- beautiful appearance;
- many colors;
- the ability to install multi-colored plates in one design of blinds;
- lack of need to carry out lamels only with equal edges (wavy lamels are very popular in recent years).
- most fabric blinds to some extent transmit light (with the exception of blackout blinds);
- the small weight of the plates does not allow them to maintain the same position during gusts of wind.
The cost of fabric blinds varies from 500 to 1000 rubles per square meter.
They are a type of fabric blinds, as their plates are made of several types. Fabrics are combined not only by color, but also by texture, which gives such blinds an unusual look that does not require additions in the form of curtains or draperies. Typically, manufacturers of firms to create multi-venetian blinds use from 2 to 7 types of fabrics at the same time.
Price range: from 1000 to 2500 rubles per square meter.
The base of the Pleated blinds was based on the construction of an ordinary fan, but the result obtained exceeded all expectations. Firstly, this type of blinds quickly gained popularity due to the large number of its merits:
- they can be erased (they are not deformed and will not lose their original color);
- can be made of two layers of fabric (light and dark), which will close the window together or separately;
- have several mounting options and controls;
- they pass through themselves an even diffused light, as they consist of a continuous sheet.
Secondly, the Pleated blinds can be considered as a universal light-protective device, as they fit windows of any shape: round and semicircular, square and rectangular. In addition, the Pleated blinds are easily installed both on the dormer windows and on the arches above the door leafs.
Disadvantage these blinds is their high cost: from 3000 to 4000 rubles square meter.
Unlike other types of blinds roller blinds, curtains consist of a single canvas, roll up in a roll at the top of the window using a special mechanism. It is customary to distinguish between three types of roller blinds:
- mini (free-hanging) - cost from 500 rubles per square meter,
- cassette (mounted on the window sash, and the fabric of the curtains moves up and down along the side rails) - the price starts from 1000 rubles;
- day-night (stripes of light and dark fabric alternate) - from 700 rubles per square meter. Still such blinds are called "Zebra".
Virtues roller blinds:
- fabric curtains can fix at any level of your choice;
- installed on PVC windows and wooden windows;
- blends well with other types of curtains;
- They are made from almost any fabric, which, if necessary, undergo additional processing with special compositions, which allow to increase its color stability or dust repellency;
- on them it is possible to apply drawing (photoblinds). roller blinds with photo printing on fabric. At the same time, any image can be applied to the fabric - at the request of the customer.
- poorly tolerate wet cleaning;
- can not rub;
- Do not use strong chemical detergents for cleaning roller blinds;
- To remove stains, it is better to give the blinds to the dry cleaner.
Cassette horizontal and roller blinds on plastic windows
Horizontal cassette blinds
Horizontal cassette blinds are specially designed for installation on plastic windows. They are mounted directly in the window opening, and do not interfere with closing and opening the windows in any direction.
Features of horizontal cassette blinds:
- Managed by a single chain. First, the lamellae turn, then rise or fall.
- The most popular ones are made of aluminum (Isolite) or galvanized steel (Isotra).
- Do not occupy space on the windowsill.
- Do not sag when tilting the window due to the taut strings.
- Aluminum blinds are easy to wash, do not absorb odors - therefore, great for the kitchen.
- Mounted on screws or special tape (window with this method of installation is not damaged).
Rolled cassette blinds
Rolled cassette blinds are mounted on plastic or wooden windows with double-glazed windows. Unlike the usual free rolling curtains, the cassette system is installed directly on the window casement.
The cassette box hides the mechanisms and the rolled up curtain roll, and the side guides do not allow the canvas to sag when the window opens.
These blinds are controlled by a chain mechanism. It is possible to fix a cloth at any height. Cassette curtains are often fastened with special double-sided tape.
All fabrics are divided into transmitting light, darkening (Dim-out) and light-impermeable (Blackout). A huge choice of fabrics for roller blinds allows you to choose the perfect option for any interior.
Wash rolled curtains advise very carefully, with neutral detergents, avoiding creases of the fabric. Basic care - dry, with a brush or vacuum cleaner. In case of heavy pollution, dry cleaning is recommended. Therefore, for the kitchen and bathroom such blinds are not very suitable. But it will look great in the bedroom, nursery, living room.
A variety of existing types of blinds allow you to pick them up for almost any room:
- vertical blinds (made of any materials) are best suited for office premises, not very bright colors and without additional design of window openings with curtains;
- it is better to install aluminum or plastic horizontal blinds on the windows of kitchens and bathrooms of flats and houses, capable of withstanding repeated cleaning and providing a complete blackout of the room;
- home office will decorate wooden horizontal curtains, matched to the overall style of the interior;
- multifunctional vertical blinds are more suitable for the living room and bedroom;
- in the children's room, roller blinds with a merry pattern printed on them look good (however, it is not recommended to install horizontal blinds there because of their increased ability to accumulate dust);
- for rooms facing the sunny side of the house, designers advise choosing multi-effect blinds or day-night blinds;
- When you decorate the room in the Oriental style, you can use bamboo blinds or Pleated blinds with a pattern appropriate to the room design.